Book: Soldier Dogs
Author: Maria Goodavage
Publisher: DUTTON, Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
PackPeople review: “The cover looks awesome” said one of our friendly, dog-loving boys at the front desk while I was unwrapping Maria’s new book a few weeks ago. I agreed, the hardcover layout is great. Let’s see how the book is:
You don’t have to be a dog lover to enjoy the 293 pages of this book. Goodavage’s newly-released book uncovers how military working dogs are procured and trained to become field-specialized, while she enlightens readers toward the training and work of a military dog and as well as their history and related scientific studies. A terrific balance of heart warming stories and interesting facts, Soldier Dogs addresses these dogs’ heroic accomplishments, the special bond between handlers and dogs, a military dog’s life after retirement – all while impartially addressing the conflicting ethics of employing canines in battle.
The book is subdivided into 4 parts: I. Dogs in Harm’s way; II. Nature, Nurture, and Training; III. The Dog Trainer and The Scientists; IV. Dogs and their soldiers.
“Military working dogs are amazing in every respect, and even more so when you realize that they risk their lives and save yours, all so they can have a ball.” – Air Force Staff Sergeant Christine Campos/Dog Handler
Maria’s writing style is accessible and human – we definitely recommend it as a must-read.
You also might enjoy our Pets for Patriots interview.
- Interview with Holli Pfau, author of "Pure Gold" - and a chance to win a signed co...
- Which breed makes the best movie dogs? - The most famous movie dogs in history
- The Adventures of Tintin - Movie Review
- New documentary: Street Dogs of South Central - Interview with filmmakers [Audio]
- Win a Monster! Needle-felted by Michiko from Japan
- How to use a prong collar and choke chain I'm shocked how people use prong collars (pinch collar)...
- Owls Everywhere – What’s Happening? I don't know if I'm mistaken, but I see OWLS everyw...
- Handmade leather dog collars by California Collar Co. in Los Angeles California Collar Co. is a small artisan-run business ...