Are you aware of the stray dog problem in Los Angeles? No? Well, approximately 30,000 dogs live on the streets of L.A. – some surrendered by their irresponsible owners, some dumped on the street, others never had a home. It’s an ongoing challenge for animal welfare groups, rescues and animal control services to reduce the number of stray dogs in L.A. Once caught by animal control, many dogs (especially Pit Bull mixes) are euthanized by the thousands every year in the U.S.
Fortunately, many spay & neuter programs are working hard to reduce the number of newborn puppies. In the City of LA, mandatory spay/neuter is the law, supported by great low- and no-cost options, so spread the word!
Bill Marin (Director) and Vince Ueber (Producer) have made a powerful documentary about stray dogs surviving on the streets of Los Angeles, a film called “Street Dogs of South Central” which helps shed light on the pet overpopulation problem. Narrated by Queen Latifah, this feature length documentary follows the story of Elsie—a mother struggling to raise her litter of puppies in a harsh urban environment. Every day, Elsie and her brood travel the streets of South Central in search of food and shelter. Their daily struggle for survival in the ghetto is brilliantly captured and emotionally revealed in this captivating film. STREET DOGS OF SOUTH CENTRAL captures the truly challenging conditions in which these canines live and reveals how the dogs adapt with their innate abilities.
We had the great pleasure of talking to Bill and Vince last weekend. Listen to our audio interview and share our blog post to raise awareness about our stray dogs, and this new important new documentary.
Street Dogs of South Los Angeles – Interview with the film makers by PackPeople NEW: We’ve made it easier to listen to our audio interviews! This audio is 24 minutes of highly interesting and educational content. Use the little flags in the blue bar in the SoundCloud Player to navigate through the questions and content. Get this interview as a Podcast here.
Bill and Vince recommend:
The New Encyclopedia of the Dog by Bruce Fogle
The Ecology of Stray Dogs: A Study of Free-Ranging Urban Animals by Alan M. Beck
To help the street dogs, please click here.
Facebook: Street Dogs of South Central
If you liked the interview please share it with your community or feel free to leave a comment. Thank you for making an impact!
The movie is not yet available in stores or online.
To find out more about screenings and when and where to watch it, you can stay informed through their Facebook page. To help the street dogs, you can click on the ‘help’ section of their website. Here is the trailer:
We are humans, so if you see any typos please send us an e-mail to email@example.com – Thank you!
- Product Testing Alone Kills Over 14 Million Animals Annually: Interview with Animal Liberation Front...
- PackPeople's Top 10 Interviews in 2011
- How to win strong laws that animals desperately need - Interview with Julie from NIFAA [Audio]
- Get involved in animal welfare! - Interview with Debby from Generation Wags
- Why Deaf Dogs Rock - Interview with founder Christina Lee
- How to use a prong collar and choke chain I'm shocked how people use prong collars (pinch collar)...
- Owls Everywhere – What’s Happening? I don't know if I'm mistaken, but I see OWLS everyw...
- Handmade leather dog collars by California Collar Co. in Los Angeles California Collar Co. is a small artisan-run business ...