Lilly is attending the 28 – DAY Eukanuba Challenge from today on. Lilly is 2 years old, healthy, very active and happy french bulldog and she is ready to try this food and let you know on a weekly basis. DAY – 1 is today, Friday 25-02-2011. Our food arrived yesterday and we’re excited to give Eukanuba a chance. Usually I feed Blue Buffalo for dogs.
The mailman dropped the box in front of our house, yelled something to me and disappeared in his van. There is this big box in front of our house and I knew what’s in it, so I dragged it into the house and my dogs came by to inspect the invader. They sniffed the box and they already knew that, there is food in it. Yes, I saw the sign on the top of the box “Do not open with sharp object”, but I pulled out my sharp knife and cut the box, of course I cut to deep and I cut a little of the food package.
I was surprised how nice and appealing the design of the food package was. One point for the packaging, but how is the product? With Samson and Lilly we opened the 30lb bag of dry food. I choose Wild New Zealand Venison and Potato formula, because I wanted to stick to my principles to feed my dogs natural balanced or holistic food and I thought this is the best choice of what Eukanuba was offering on their website. I’m always a little skeptic with new food. First ingredient is Vension, but what about the others…let’s see what we have. This is how Eukanuba is advertising on their website, I couldn’t find the detailed list of ingredients on the website first:), but I found them on the back of the package:
Venison, Potato, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract.
And this is how Eukanuba is advertising for this food on the website:
- Venison as the #1 Ingredient: 100% Real venison provides an excellent source of protein that helps promote strong, lean muscles. That’s why it’s the #1 ingredient.
- Healthy Carbohydrates: Potatoes are rich in minerals and are an excellent source of highly digestible carbohydrates that help maintain healthy energy levels.
- Natural Prebiotics: Natural FOS (fructooligosaccharides) works in your dog’s digestive tract to support strong defenses.
- Antioxidants:Made with a unique antioxidant blend including vitamin E to help dogs stay healthy and live long lives.
- Only the Good: No Fillers, corn, or artificial preservatives.
- DentaDefense®: Clinically Proven to reduce tartar by up to 55%.
I opened the bag and a nice and pleasant smell came out of it, the dogs sniffed more excited and started to beg for it. I heard that this food is very new on the market and couldn’t find reviews about it. Small sized kibbles and a nice texture, not very different from the other foods I know. The appearance is nice as well (a dark brown). What does Lilly think about this food? For the first 3 days I’m going to add just a cup of it to her food to let her digestive system get prepared for the new food. After day 3 I’m going to feed her only the Eukanuba food. I gave her a handful after I made my opinion and had my first impression, she ate it right away and liked it. I poured a half cup in her bowl added her normal food and the fish oil…she sniffed and ate it without any kind of prudential complaints. I like the feeling when my dogs finish their bowls and look at me satisfied. I’m always feeding once a day in the evening and I add Omega 3 fish oil.
- How to use a prong collar and choke chain I'm shocked how people use prong collars (pinch collar)...
- Owls Everywhere – What’s Happening? I don't know if I'm mistaken, but I see OWLS everyw...
- Handmade leather dog collars by California Collar Co. in Los Angeles California Collar Co. is a small artisan-run business ...