Omega 3 fatty acids for dogs and cats. What are omega fatty acids?
– Fatty acids are specific types of polyunsaturated fats. Two main classes that are of particular importance to our dogs are Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are found in fish and certain plants. Fish oil, such as salmon oil, cod liver oil, and sardine oil, is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA). Flaxseed oil, hempseed oil, and soybean oil are rich in Omega-3 too.
Omega-3 fatty acids include:
Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
Fatty acids affect a number of body systems and conditions including allergies and autoimmune conditions, arthritis, inflammatory diseases such as inflammatory stomach disease, dull and dry hair coats, yeast infections, atopy and eye disorders.
What are the benefits of Omega fatty acids!
– Fatty acids are necessary for the normal function of many systems of the dog body and not all fatty acids have the same function. We’re highlighting Omega 3 acids, which can not be produced by the dogs body.
- cardiovascular health
- reduces inflammation
- lowers the risk for cancer
- almost no side effects
- lessens allergies and autoimmune condition
- Omega 3 oil is very effective in controlling allergies and skin disease
- helpful in reducing arthritis
- helps with dull and dry hair coats
- good for joints and improves limb strength
Since they cannot be produced in the body, they must be ingested in the form of foods or natural supplements.
I’m feeding Dermapet Eicosaderm to Samson since 6 month and it’s amazing how he improved his walking and he even started to run a little on our morning walks. We believe that the fish oil we’re adding to his food is helping him with his joints, because we didn’t change anything else. I have written a post about Samson’s disease called Cauda Equina. We got fish oil for Lilly at the vet, because she is licking her paws obsessively and started to add to Samson’s as well. It has no side effects. Lilly’s coat is shiny and her skin got much better, but she is still licking. We’ll give homeopathy remedies a try.
Dermapet Eicosaderm liquid is available at entirelypets.com. I always buy it here because it is much cheaper then the vet. Order your fish oil HERE!